The State Government has started work on North Terrace to introduce trams to the East End. The plan includes no cycle lanes or cycle infrastructure of any sort.
Government plans can be found here
If you want to do something about it you can register your interest on the project website, explain your interest as a cyclist. Better still, you can write to Mullighan: (firstname.lastname@example.org) telling him what you think.
Some things you could say
- cyclists need to use North Terrace to reach the railway station, the unis etc.
- cyclists on the footpath need a dedicated space for the safety of both pedestrians and cyclists
- if cyclist are to use the traffic lanes, we need a lower speed
- he should reconsider the wide footpath on the northern side to make room for a bike lane
To see other cyclists thoughts on the issue visit the Adelaide Cyclists discussion North Terrace
More information and a history of what we have been up to
As soon as BISA heard that the State government was going to extend the tram down North Terrace to East Terrace we asked to speak to Transport Minister Mullighan about taking the opportunity to improve cycling on North Terrace. (Bike facilities on North Terrace is number 2 in our top 10 wish list.)
We never got the meeting, and now that the plans are out, we can see why. Not only will we not get bike lanes, but things will be worse, with the existing wide kerbside lane narrowed so much that cyclists will have to occupy the lane with buses and cars.
Despite making it worse on the road – impossible for all but the brave and fearless – they are doing nothing for cyclists for cyclists off the road either. One of our committee members wrote to DPTI about it and was told that cyclists will just have to take to the footpath.
Have a look at the promotional video. Not a cyclist to be seen. And this from a government that hopes to double the amount of cycling, and for a street that is the state’s main cycling attractor. What a joke!
BISA has put it’s stance on our website. Assuming its too late the change the configuration, we’re calling for:
- converting the footpath next to the buildings on the northern side of North Terrace into a bike path
- 30kph speed limit on North Terrace
- part of the eastern footpath on King WIlliam Road north of North Terrace to be reserve for cyclists riding up hill. (The tram extension down King William Road to Festival Drive similarly squeezes out cyclists.)